Thursday 9 October 2014

OUGD504 (Brief 02): Research - paintings and existing logos

Following the crit I looked into the work of some Spanish artists including Picasso and Gaudi, and being a fan of Picasso anyway I picked up on the use of colour in his work.


The warm, inviting oranges and browns in the image above attracts the viewer's gaze and holds quite welcoming tones.  I feel something similar would work if I use a warm, captivating hue in the logo for the restaurant; that it would attract possible customers because of the pleasant sense of comfort.

In contrast, the image below includes brighter tones which makes the painting more alive, and a similar vibrancy would work well when depicting the casual, friendly environment of the restaurant.



I'm also thinking about using more than two colours in the logo, and think that some deep, rich colours would work well with less strong ones to illustrate the atmosphere. In these examples the colour he has used is vibrant, fun and friendly, without being too basic and child like.  



To demonstrate the ambience of the restaurant, I want to use colours that are inviting yet keep a vibrancy that portrays a sociable place to eat. I definitely want to incorporate a warm, burnt red or orange colour into the design because although it's a popular choice for many Spanish related products, it truly represents the culture as well as the warm Mediterranean climate.



Spanish logos

Struggling with keeping the Spanish suggestion within my logo, I researched into typefaces and colours used in existing logos for spanish products. 




The first logo uses the colours of the Spanish flag along with a stereotypical image of the bull which has representations of the Spanish culture.



I also looked at food logos to familiarise myself with how designers have incorporated food elements into a logo to give a clue into what the business provides.





Although I'd like to show some reference to food in the logo, I don't think it's necessarily needed if other elements of the business are relayed instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment