Tuesday 7 October 2014

OUGD504 (Brief 02): Kickstarter Research

This brief allows us to take a kickstarter project of our choice and design (or re-design) their logo and brand identity.

Having no idea what sort of field to start looking into on Kickstarter.com, I searched through the general feed narrowing the search results in order of popularity or 'magic', just to randomise the categories more.

I came across a few projects that appealed to me either because of the concept, name or (unfortunately) a nice design.  However I want to go for a project, business or product that either has no branding at all, or one I think I can improve upon.

One of the first projects I came across that caught my attention was edible coffee. The CoffeeBar shows students a new way to get their caffeine fix, without drinking.




A project The Path of Stone Soup is the start of what hopes to be a pop-up dining experience providing an insight into traditional Mexican cuisine to a global audience.




Some other projects I highlighted as possibilities include:

- Portable cardboard standing desk

However, many of these ideas weren't ideal due to either having already sufficient brand design or being an exhibition or project that wouldn't use a particular logo consistently and in the future.


____________

Following a lot of browsing I came across the product/service Bicycle Astronomy after narrowing down my search field to include tags such as science.  Being interested in this subject generally, I agree with many of the statements Doug Reilly makes on his kickstarter proposal (which has now been fully funded).

This name had already sparked a few ideas for a visual design, and looking at the old one I believe I can produce something considerably more fitting for the target audience and product itself.

The idea of the project is to bring a portable telescope via bicycle to public areas, where stargazing can become more accessible to everyone.





The existing graphics could be hugely improved on which is a factor I am 
considering when choosing a brief.


I sketched out a few initial ideas for the Bicycle Astronomy logo, playing with the idea of a bike wheel, telescope lens, and a moon to represent astronomy.




Although I'm interested in both the universe and cycling, this particular result of the combination doesn't interest me so I've decided to go down a different route.

No comments:

Post a Comment