Wednesday 8 October 2014

OUGD504 (Brief 02): Chosen Kickstarter - SER

After changing my mind and flicking between possible kickstarter projects to brand/re-brand, I've decided to go with Ser, a Spanish restaurant set up by Christiana Campos that promotes a casual and friendly environment in a small neighbourhood.

The current logo for the restaurant is below and one of the reasons I've chosen this project, because I don't think it truly represents the character and tone of the brand.  Being a Spanish restaurant, there is a lot of scope to create a logo more suited to the cuisine as well as suggesting a informal, friendly environment, which I think is lost in the current design.


I began by noting down the key aims and attributes of the business, including exactly what it is providing to the public.  In summary, Ser is a small, Spanish neighbourhood restaurant with an informal approach to serving home cooked foods in a relaxing, homely environment.

I also looked at the language used on their kickstarter page to help me visualise the brand identity of the business.  From this I felt as though the tone of voice was very personal and honest, with emphasis on the Spanish tradition of the meals, which welcome the neighbourhood to a cultural hangout experience.

To clarify Ser's brand identity I made note of all the key words that sum up the restaurant, based on the proposal on Kickstarter.



The main focus of the restaurant is obviously to serve food, however when designing the logo I need to take both this and the tone of the restaurant into account.  To attract the right customers (as well as giving potential customers an awareness of what the restaurant is like) the logo needs to speak a language that coincides with the concept of the restaurant.


One aspect of the old design that I quite like is the border, as it connotes old Spanish design the most.

The brand image needs to reinforce a comfortable, friendly and unique place to eat traditional Spanish dishes, with something to hint at the modern twist on the old recipes.


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/810621184/ser-to-be-simple-easy-and-real?ref=category


No comments:

Post a Comment