Monday 6 October 2014

OUGD504 (Brief 01): Development

The first step to help me decide on the fold, content and design of my leaflet was to outline the stages of my design process and discover what I do most to help me when I'm stuck. Each problem is different: in the early stages I research, when trying to find a solution I draw and refine, and I read and organise throughout to stay on track.

Drawings to show my ideas process for choosing the style of leaflet:





Once I'd decided on an angular cut out leaflet as the net I began to block in spacing for information.


I plan for the leaflet to fold in one direction, wrapping around each time so the leaflet is completely contained, and creating different designs when it's unfolded different amounts of times.

Below is a mock up of the design with an extra part added on so the fastening slip is already attached. I made a rough mark up of where the information would sit, considering the position when being unfolded.






After planning how the content would fit, I bought some cartridge paper to test out stock of a different weight.  On this I drew the hand rendered type designs for the titles of each section (research, read, draw and organise), which I will later scan in to add to the digital copy, though not changing the type designs digitally.













Trying out the layout on the inside, sketching out appropriately sized sections for the text on each category. I've used a grid that stretches across all 4 pages which makes the sections come together showing my design process as a whole rather than separate categories - which further reflects how I work.



On the section revealed next to the 'draw' lettered headline, I've listed a rough log of the process I go through when drawing my ideas out. Sketch, refine, sketch, refine, etc.  The connecting illustrations are made up of diagonal, horizontal and vertical lines which carry the same aesthetic as the rest of the leaflet.  I've also composed the smaller drawings in the same way.





This is the final design for the inside of the booklet when unfolded completely.


_________________

Now that I've completely planned out the design for the content of my leaflet I can create a net on InDesign so that I can print it digitally.
I'm going to keep all the typographic titles hand drawn, scanned in directly but altering the contrast and curves so the forms are more crisp.



I traced around the shapes of the connecting imagery on Illustrator, changing to a low opacity so the black isn't as harsh on the white page.  I've also added gradients to the separate shapes to give the impression that each branch is fading out as it reaches the text on that page.



To keep the original drawings I scanned in, I used the threshold tool to increase the darks and lights of the image which has created a rougher depiction of the soft pencil drawings, but works well with the tones of the text and other imagery in the leaflet.




I also cleaned up the hand drawn type so I could add this image on to the page as well, creating more contrast between typefaces as I've only used one for all the content so far - even though I've used different point sizes I still think there needs to be some more variation.

Below is the net for the outside of the leaflet which shows the hand lettering title pieces.








The clear, shorter page on the back I've filled in block colour so the leaflet isn't completely 
black and white.



When checking if the negative space in this image was transparent or not to consider for printing, I had an idea to have the one side of the leaflet in colour, and the information/content side purely black and white.




I decided on a warmer, wine coloured theme in the end, stretching from darkest on right to the lightest shade on the left.  As the leaflet unfolds, the shades will fade from dark to light, and on the reverse side there's no colour at all where the content is.

I originally chose purple to compliment the off white stock, however after mocking up on InDesign it might look better printed on white stock, having the inside strip completely black and white. 




No comments:

Post a Comment