Monday 2 March 2015

OUGD503: Surface Pattern Designer Logo

I've recently been asked to produce a hand lettered logotype for a student on the Printed textiles and surface pattern course at Leeds College of Art.  The client showed me a few examples of existing logos and lettering styles they wanted something similar to, so I began drawing out a few different versions based on these ideas.  I'm on a very tight schedule with this brief as the design is needed by Thursday, so I have stuck to a style that I confirmed with the client as appropriate and suited to her work.





I still experimented with an uppercase A even though Ailish stated she didn't like that style so I soon changed it to an old-style capital A.  I was able to achieve quicker results because I was in frequent contact with her, so it was easy to make design decisions in a short space of time.  I showed the client the initial sketches and she chose one she liked the most which I then worked on to improve the balance and composition of the word.

 



I traced over the initial sketch, making minor changes to the spacing and size of letterforms before enlarging the drawing to perfect the details of curves and links.  The final drawing looked slightly lopsided which I was able to correct on Illustrator by rotating the image clockwise slightly.  I found it easier to live trace after blocking in the letterforms with dark colour.





No comments:

Post a Comment