Wednesday 4 March 2015

OUGD503: 'Ailish' logo development

Once I'd tried to create an outline using an unfilled image I went back and coloured the inside before scanning again so that the shapes became blocks rather than outlines.  From this I was easily able to live trace the image to create an exact replication of my original drawing.  I considered using the pen tool to trace round the composition manually, however I decided this would take too long to complete well and the live traced image worked just as well, especially at a smaller scale (original drawing was just under A4 size).



To finish the logo I looked back through some ideas the client had shown an interest in, and played with composing her creative status underneath the logo.  We spoke about including her full name 'Ailish Reaney', but concluded that this would just repeat the name in the logo and that it would be more appropriate to state what her area of practice is: surface pattern design.


We determined that the text underneath works best in uppercase, and the chosen font Futura is the client's choice as well, having used that typeface on other elements of her portfolio through personal preference.

I then asked for feedback from my classmates to judge what needed changing to finish the design.  I was advised to make the text underneath the line smaller and to make the stroke width of the horizontal line thinner, so that the main point of focus is the client's main logo/name.  It was noted that the text underneath is more balanced in the logo when moved closer to the line.

I also downloaded the light version of the typeface as it felt more suitable for the client and balanced out the design making it less bottom heavy.  Accompanied with wider tracking this made the design feel more completed and once I'd shown it to Ailish she agreed the lighter weight of the font worked best.  The final logo doesn't have the email address underneath as isn't necessary to include in that image, however it could be used in this way on a business card.







The logo will be applied to business cards along with a promotional pack cover, which the net for shows the logo alone on one side and the reverse covered with a pattern that the designer created.


I also mocked up the design on a business card, using Ailish's print as a pattern on one side.




Ailish has printed some cards displaying a full bleed image of her print on the front and the logo on the back, which shows the design in use without 'surface pattern designer' underneath.







No comments:

Post a Comment