Tuesday 3 March 2015

OUGD503: James Cray Logo Development



I transferred the final sketch in to Illustrator where I carefully drew around the letterforms ensuring that the curves flowed seamlessly.  Originally, I tried to live trace the image but the connections between the curves and the general outline wasn't neat enough, so increased the accuracy and presentation by completing this process manually.  I also worked on the spacing between each letterform to create a more consistent and balanced overall visual, which required moving the 'a' and 'y' of the surname over to the right so it came past the larger 's' in James.




I played around with the composition of 'lens based media' and concluded that to balance out the composition it works best in the top right corner.  It also looks better closer to the name as it unifies the piece - same with 'by' which works better directly underneath lens based media rather than pushed right.





I have chosen the typeface Geneva for the additional text 'lens based media' and used uppercase to differentiate from the scripted variations in the photographer's name.  The sans serif face works best to inform clearly and works at a small size.  The final composition has the text aligned to the right in line with the end point of the 'y' tail.  This also works because the type is a lot smaller and lighter than the thickness of the photographer's name, which in turn makes this the more prominent feature of the logo.  After receiving feedback from others I decided not to use 'by' underneath even though it balanced out the design, as it didn't seem to fit comfortably in any position.








Overall I am pleased with this logo however I could have developed the logo far more than I did to make the frame concept more obvious.  I also could have experimented with different materials to create marks, such as paint, and I feel more exploration with different line weights would have helped me to produce a much more informed outcome.

I've applied it to a business card to see how it would work in context, however I'm not aware of every aspect of promotion he will use it for.

No comments:

Post a Comment