Friday 14 November 2014

OUGD504 (Brief 03): Study Task 9 - Search Engine Optimisation

Discuss SEO and how it impacts your web solutions:


What is it?

When using a search engine, such as Google or Yahoo, web pages are listed in order of relativity to what the user has searched for.

- words
- page title
- links between websites (recommendations or links to your site)
If certain words link to another webpage, when that word is searched in a search engine, the website it links to will rank higher on the search results.
- reputation
Constant and withstanding posting on a website, using high quality content and search engine optimisation tools will ensure the site is prominent in search results


Why is it important?

Structuring my webpage so that it can be found, read and indexed effectively is important so that my website appears higher in the ranking of search results.  SEO makes the content of my site relevant and visible to those who search for related topics.

- how it effects views on site



Does my website work with SEO in mind?

Because a lot of my content is images, the search engine optimisation may not be as effective as a site with primarily text, which will appear higher ranked when someone searches for a word that is relevant to the site.  As a solution to this problem, I could tag key elements in my photographs so that when users search for related photographs, my website appears high up in the ranking on the search engine.

To ensure that I receive more traffic on my site, I need to keep the text as text and not as images, such as the headings and links.  The main key words on my site include the names of cities and countries in europe; architecture; names of buildings (which will be useful when people search for a specific piece of architecture); and dates.  Hopefully this will mean that, with tags, my site will appear relatively high in relation to what users search for.

I also need to make sure my description on the about page is accurate and relevant to the project, and includes key words such as photography, architecture, or Europe to make sure that it can be found when a user is searching for these things.



http://searchengineland.com/guide/what-is-seo
http://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo/why-search-engine-marketing-is-necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment