Thursday 20 November 2014

OUGD503: Feathr - Research

RESEARCH

I found some existing patterns that I found interesting due to their never-ending element of design, that leads to the viewer attempting to find the start or end of the pattern. Due to its nature the shapes merge into one block pattern rather than something you can differentiate a particular shape as separate from the rest.  This is especially clear in these first two images:




Both are minimal in colour and shape; simplistic yet made interesting when reproduced on a larger scale to create the repeated pattern.  Similarly to this, I found another design which uses one shape (a rounded square) several times in an interlinking fashion, which creates additional shapes when the pattern is continued.



I also looked at layering over images to create depth.  In the image above, the same design has been layered four times to show a perception of deepness inwards, the lighter shapes being furthest from the top layer, covered by the more vibrant hues of the dark grey and orange that appear nearest to the viewer.  This may be something to consider when creating my wallpaper design to add scope and weight to the appearance.



I looked into type on walls and touched styles of graffiti and handwriting.  This led to ideas of chalkboard and whiteboard walls, and I found one wallpaper design that was a grid of letters designed for someone to engage with by using it as a word search.  I really liked this idea as it spurs interaction with the design.




Davide Groppi created a wall design that featured wooden blocks of type stuck down and painted over in colour, adding a tactile value. The image below this is handwritten wallpaper which inspired me to use lettering of some sort on wallpaper instead of imagery.  The last design preserves the hand rendered quality, as it does in the design below of gold painted spots.  It turns an ordinary pattern, e.g. polka dot, into something more interesting.

This research led me to at more graffiti styles and black letter style typography and lettering. Learning about calligraphy has inspired me to create designs with these factors, as this is a form of art that I haven't seen much of as a wallpaper pattern and differs from the standard pictorial elements in most wallpaper designs. 





No comments:

Post a Comment