Thursday 20 November 2014

OUGD503: Feathr - Initial Wallpaper Ideas

During a presentation from an employee at Feathr, we were informed about the company and their submission period for wallpaper designs. The brief requires participants to design a unique and individual wallpaper design that differs from the usual styles found at popular home stores.



My initial idea was to create pattern through typography, using individual letterforms to create repeated patterns or shapes and images using the different line weights. The letterforms I chose to begin with were based on the individual shape and relation of lines to other letterforms. My particular favourites are K, W and A. By rotating, flipping, and duplicating these forms I could create some interesting patterns. I started drawing on paper before transferring to digitally producing the designs which took much less time when duplicating the letterforms.










I want to create a pattern using type that will appear from a distance to be a light, neutral shade of colour (or grey), then as a person gets closer to the wall, it becomes clearer that it's made up of small sized letterforms to create this effect.  For individuals who want a minimal, low key wallpaper design with an artistic graphic element.





I experimented by designing using block shapes first, then fitting letterforms in altered formations to create the pattern. This worked alright to create a repeated effect, however I'm not happy with these designs and feel a bit at loss with what I could change to make them more appealing.

________________

I got a bit stuck with this idea and have recently been reading and looking at hand lettering and calligraphy, which inspired me to produce a pattern through manually positioning letterforms so the ascenders and descenders linked up - creating the repeated effect.  The intention of this design is to have a minimal black on white design which would be unlikely to clash with the interior of most artist/writers studios and retains a subtle but decorative impression.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment