Saturday 13 February 2016

OUGD603: DS - Photographic influence

Laslo Maholy Nagy









Leading on from my research into Russian avant garde design and constructivist visuals, another influence in my work is Maholy-Nagy's photographs, which can be seen in the kind of photos I take myself. I wanted to expand on this in this project.


Using the obvious idea of consumerism as disposable culture I photographed Leeds Trinity shopping centre, which is an exhaustive shopping centre in Leeds that encourages the shopping culture with the stores selling the same endless stock as the next one. I tried to capture interesting compositions within the frame, using the architecture of the building to form dynamic shapes, though the people and lights also contribute to the compositions.











Eventually I managed to get a couple of images that I was happy with after editing slightly, though most photos didn't really draw me in visually. From these photos however, I have manipulated the compositions slightly and taken the main aspects of routes around the shopping centre, crossing panels, levels of floors, etc and transferred into stripped back, more minimal thumbnail drawings.

(images)



I have continued with this aesthetic of photography both in my spare time and for this project to get the best compositions for my painting by using influence from existing physical creations, including ceilings, floors, and joins that become abstract formations when I frame them in a certain way photographically.







From these I plan to flatten out and take inspiration for my painting development.


I looked back through my archive of photographs in this style and picked out the compositions that worked the best and that I could bring into my work...












Most seem to be of ceilings and floors, with heavy influence from architecture as the main structure of the photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment