Friday 20 February 2015

OUGD503: Re make for Feathr

Responding to the feedback I received from Feathr, I traced the pattern within a frame the same size as the original design, not taking much care with the strokes so I was able to re draw it fairly quickly. There is some texture shown in the angle of the mark in between strokes which are slightly translucent.





To make sure the new design matched up in the same way as the original, I layered the two images in Photoshop and used the clone stamp and eraser to create a perfect match when repeated.  Unfortunately with the new, less rigid design, the natural opacities and pen marks are lost when the shapes are filled with colour, so I'm a bit stuck on how I can change this without losing the raw essence of the marks.

When redrawing the image to keep the looser forms, I also edited one of the characters with a thinner line weight, which looked odd in relation to the rest of the design.  Below right shows the two versions overlaid; you can see the shape below compared with the changes on top in a fuller opacity. One character I changed after feedback that the stroke weight didn't fit with the other forms, which looked odd in the overall image.



Originally I disagreed with the company preferring the second, more free hand style design, however after working with both designs to create the re-made version it has grown on me, and for commercial purposes this will probably be more suitable as a wallpaper design as it is less harsh than the thick, block colours.  Seeing the raw marks shows the movement that created each character, which is another factor that has grown on me and looks particularly nice in a lighter colour with the dark background slightly visible through the low opacity of the stroke.



I've sent this version to Tom at Feathr who offered to try and help with the colouring problems.  I am able to change the hues of the whole image but cannot choose the same colours that I originally picked for the designs, which I chose due to their neutral tones and harmonious appearance from a distance.  After receiving help from several people regarding the colour, including Tom, I was able to change the colour to nearly match the original choices by using the duotone setting in Photoshop.  Here are the final three:





No comments:

Post a Comment