Thursday 12 February 2015

OUGD503 (Brief 1): Contacting CRB

As I am nearing the final stages of this brief, my mock prints of the zines have initiated my thoughts about production and if I were to sell these booklets regularly or in larger numbers, I would need to consider the time it would take and methods of binding them.  

Cafe Royal Books run by Craig Atkinson publishes weekly photo zines of a different topic per week, and after contacting Craig earlier in the year due to my interest in photo zines, I now considered emailing again in hope of receiving a response that could inform my work.  I am nearing the final production of my booklets and wanted to know a bit more about self-publishing and production methods.



Although this is a short response I'm glad I received a reply; at this stage in my design process I have been producing them by cropping and binding by hand, which proved very difficult to achieve accurate and consistent results each time.  Here I have my answer; for such a large run (often CRB releases editions of 200) it is far easier for the printer to do all of the work especially when releasing a new booklet every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment