Friday 27 February 2015

OUGD503: Photographer's Logo

I recently got asked to produce a hand lettered logotype for a photography student within the college. He showed me some examples of work he would like something similar to, showing his name with accompanying text stating photography/video work.  From these images I gathered that he wants a hand lettered logo in general, though I kept a rough idea of these strokes and compositions in mind when producing my initial sketches.



I also researched further into lettered logotypes and widened the range of styles I was looking at for inspiration.  This also made me think about the different tools I could use to create the design as well as compositions including additional text to show what the brand is selling.











I experimented with various weights, angles, and styles before showing him this range so he could make an informed decision based on what could be achieved.  Out of the preliminary sketches, he opted for the design that showed both name and surname parallel to each other on a diagonal axis.









I experimented with the parallel text composition working with the joins of the J and y, which I interpreted to make a frame around the text, which links the concept to James' photography and video work; both of which require skill to frame the content.  I considered using the idea of a circular shape representative of a lens to enclose the text, however decided against this idea as a lot of photography logos use this concept and my client has shown an interest in the more formally written style.



When we had agreed on the best composition, James requested that some minor changes were made to his favourite design as well as choosing the phrase 'lens based media' as the most appropriate.  I re drew the chosen design at a larger size without the flick on the 'y' and reduced the flick on the 'J', reducing the decorative elements.




No comments:

Post a Comment