Thursday 3 March 2016

OUGD603: Secret 7 - Development

Ideas

I started working on a couple of different tracks to see which one I was drawn to more and to try two different paths before deciding on the Tame Impala track.


After brainstorming and researching the song I picked a few lyrics that I felt could be included without breaking the rules of 'no song title' allowed on the secret 7 cover. Ideas of colourful imagination, pain and a downwards spiral of thought were apparent, and a colour scheme of deep purples and reds sprung to mind. Sticking with the theme 'the less I know', keeping the detail or real image of my artwork distorted or abstracted seems like a way to push forward.


I've looked at more existing album covers by Podhajsky and existing Tame Impala single and album covers to get some initial visuals in mind. I also watched the video for the single which included lots of colour and metaphors, as well as illustrated and animated parts.









Text at the beginning of the music video:










As this is a short brief for me I aim to spend no longer than a couple of days on it. After pondering ideas for a while and considering a few different designs to take forward, I started experimenting with how I could make the lyrics 'don't make me wait forever' more abstracted and illegible, reinforcing the 'less i know' theme of Tame Impala's song.






I tested out using a few different styles and pens in circular arrangements which is how I intend it to be shown on the square format of the 7" cover. The continuous circle makes the viewer read it again and again, waiting for it to end while representing the feelings in the song.




Editing together on Photoshop:


I decided that the text alone was a bit too bare, and needed some other colour to represent the song as I understood it. I thought about using photography in the design to bring in another element and give the cover some depth as well as colour.



Photographing flowers

Related to the theme of relationships I chose brightly coloured flowers as my subject to create a vibrant design. I intend to crop and repeat these images as I have tested with some of my own photographs earlier, to create abstract shapes and patterns of the close up petals.

The fact that it's early spring time and these flowers have not quite yet blossomed reinforces the concept of 'less known' - the buds are hiding the flowers inside them, unseen to the human eye.











Flower photo manipulation

Referring back to my research I started messing about with the photos digitally to create different compositions. I tried this out with several photographs and incorporated multiple photos within one design, trying out alternative cropped versions and sizes.







I decided this composition was too crowded especially if I wanted to incorporate the text as well. Though I planned to just cut the text out or overlay in a block colour, the flourished strokes make for a complex design.

I decided to use just the one layer of flower photos, as I have repeated it 4 times already and the petals provide layers on their own.







Merging designs

I decided to add another aspect to this design and merge my two concepts together, bringing type and image together in the design. To make sure it didn't get too complex I only added one circle, one which I thought worked best specially and was most abstract, keeping the words hidden.













Final design



Abstract calligraphy reading “Don’t make me wait forever” is overlaid on to a cropped photo of an unopened flower bud. The flower isn’t quite revealing it’s whole self yet, and the cropped, repeated image masks the subject further.


I also made a gif of the design, as it intrigued me how different the colours became when I played with the saturation.




No comments:

Post a Comment