Thursday 7 May 2015

OUGD505: Further visual research

To inspire my poster designs I looked into posters that use photographs, hand drawn type, and incorporate social media style visuals. I considered using different formats to reinforce the message , including square format to represent the Instagram post, or a much taller vertical poster so the content could be viewed as a 'scroll' with the thumb.



I already have the idea to create a moving image that is suitable for the medium of the web, and this glitchy visual for Fendi struck my attention due to the bold colours and hand rendered qualities. I aim to create a GIF similar in the sense that the main image won't change that much (photograph) but other visual elements will move around it. The use of paint produces an aesthetic that cannot be replicated using digital formats and holds an original take with more depth than a flat block colour.



Another typographic visual I admire is this poster created out of 'billions' of colours to represent a pixelated typeface, or blown-up image. I thought something similar could be quite suitable for my project which is exploring the use of technology and online data compared with the real world.


Alexander Khokhlov's work in paint includes this image of a pixelated woman - the pixels painted on in a style that replicates a blurred, low res digital image. The combination of both real life (model and medium) and the visual effects produced digitally shows how both elements can be shown in one image.




Three part campaign for TV series, using facts as main text. Similar to type of poster I aim to produce, using a full scale image of person accompanied by a fact, though the graphic style I want to experiment with follows a more bold direction, though hand drawn elements are apparent in this series as well.






As I am looking at using the format of social media sites I noted a few aesthetic elements of Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. I noted a common feature on the app designs is the multiple buttons along the bottom of the screen, as well as use of hashtags and small icons to signify likes and comments.









No comments:

Post a Comment