Tuesday 28 April 2015

Methodology

Methodology looks at the systematic way in which one could collect data to reach a particular outcome. Throughout this year my methodology hasn't been particularly consistent in terms of carrying out broad research and experimentation in each project.  To improve on this I plan to change my sequence of working by considering the process I will undertake from the beginning.  It would be beneficial to create a report on the target audience and purpose of each brief which will inform the kind of research I will undertake and consequently the methods of experimentation that follow.

In my photographic travel zine brief, research and informed decision making was one of my downfalls and since starting this project in November I have learnt the values of working towards a specific goal or target, as it results in a much better outcome. Another aspect I should look at is related theories to each brief; something that a rationale would help make apparent before starting practical work. If I had set myself more specific targets the whole process would have been more direct and less time wasted.

Similarly, for other briefs in the Responsive and 504 module I would have benefited from stating the aims and additional information so the research methods I used were relevant and allowed me to collect suitable data for each brief. My methodology for practical exploration also could have been more considered especially in the hand rendered briefs - looking at colour, texture, style, etc before starting each project would have made me realise that I needed to reflect on each area more thoroughly to achieve the best result.

With the collaborative brief for Airbnb we covered a range of research methods though we could have considered more thoroughly the way we collected information about their customers and what would work for them. In the future I aim to consider my methodology more extensively to create more conceptually strong and appropriate work.

No comments:

Post a Comment